REG - 30.04.6 Travel

Responsible Office:
Travel Office
Travel Office, 919-530-7995
Effective Date: July 1, 2012; Revised: February 15, 2017


1.  Purpose

The Travel Office’s mission is to facilitate the processing of travel authorizations and travel reimbursements in compliance with North Carolina statues and University regulations, and provide assistance to employees and departments with this process. 

2.  Scope

This regulation applies to all faculty, staff and students traveling on University business.

3.  Employee Responsibility

3.1   An employee traveling on state business is expected to use the same care in incurring expenses that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business and expending personal funds. Excess cost, circuitous routes, delays, luxury accommodations, unnecessary service, unjustified person, convenient preference of the employee in the performance of official business are prohibited

3.2   Regulations and procedures are intended to apply to state employees or other persons on official state business. Official state business occurs when the State employee or other person is traveling to attend approved job related training, work on behalf of, officially represent, or provide a state service upon the State’s request. Travel that would not directly benefit the state will not be reimbursed.

4.  Student Responsibility

Students who are traveling for academically required projects, paper, theses, or dissertations are not considered to be on official State Business travel.  However, if the student is traveling for the purpose of presenting at a conference or meeting during the travel, the University may choose to reimburse the student.  Students are expected to exercise the same care in incurring expenses that a state employee would exercise while on official state business.

5.   Definitions of Travel

5.1   In-State travel means all travel within the State of North Carolina.

5.2   Out-of-State means all travel out-of-state but within the continental United States.

5.3   Out-of-Country travel means all travel outside the continental United States. Out-of-Country travel begins when the employee/student leaves the country and remains in effect until the employee/student returns to the country.

5.4   Official State Business travel occurs when the state employee or other person is traveling to attend approved job related training and/or work on behalf of, or to officially represent or provide a state service upon the state’s request. Travel that does not directly benefit the state is non-reimbursable.

6.  Travel Authorizations

6.1   Travel Authorization Procedures

6.1.1  All travel must be authorized prior to the beginning day of travel by completing a separate Travel Authorization Form for each employee who is traveling on Official State Business travel.

6.1.2   A Travel Authorization Form must be processed for all travel, even when the Traveler is not requesting a travel advance.  

6.1.3   If the Traveler is not seeking a reimbursement a No Expense to the University Form must be submitted.  Additional justification or documentation prior to authorization of travel may be required by the approving authority.

6.1.4   All travel is subject to availability of funds; therefore, the University reserves the right to limit the cost of travel to the limits established prior to the trip.  The Traveler may begin travel one day before the conference commences and conclude travel one day after the conference ends.

6.1.5   All Travel Authorizations must be received in the Travel Office fifteen (15) business days prior to the date of travel.

6.2    Approval Signatures

6.2.1   Traveler: The signature of the person who is traveling (Traveler) is always required.

6.2.2   Supervisor: The signature and approval of the Traveler’s immediate supervisor is required.

6.2.3   If the Traveler has budget authority for the University fund being charged for the travel, approval from a higher level of management is needed.   If the Traveler's immediate supervisor has budget authority for the University fund being charged for the travel, the supervisor’s approval in Eagle’s Purch is needed as the fund approval.   If the Traveler's immediate supervisor does not have budget authority for the University fund being charged for the travel, the department or division may desire supervisor approval for departmental employees for scheduling or other purposes.

6.2.4   Department Head/Chair: The signature and approval of the department head or chairperson having budget authority for the University account being charged for travel expenses is always required.

6.2.7   Other approval, if required. The following are examples where additional approval may be required:  Special departmental or divisional approval requirements.  Travel costs split between two or more University six-digit funds and five-digit organizational codes.  Travel costs paid from a grant, including sponsored research and programs and/or Title III.

6.2.8   Chancellor or Vice Chancellor: The signature approval by the Chancellor and appropriate Vice Chancellor is required for all travel outside the contiguous United States. When State allocations revert to the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor level approval is needed. Approvals are required when the Traveler reports directly to the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor.

7.  Blanket Travel Authorization

7.1   In order to eliminate preparation of individual (daily, weekly) Travel Authorization Forms for repetitive in-state trips, monthly blanket Travel Authorization Forms are allowed as indicated below:

7.1.1   At the discretion of the department head, an annual blanket Travel Authorization Form may be prepared for any University faculty member or staff employee traveling on official business if the following criteria are met:   Trips are within North Carolina.   Trips are limited to 2-3-day duration.   Travel expenses are minimal.

7.2   Blanket authorizations are not allowable if the travel involves a mode of travel other than a state or private car. In this case, a separate Travel Authorization Form must be completed for each trip.

8.  Cancellation of Travel Plans

8.1   The Traveler is responsible for notifying the Travel Office, in writing, if his or her travel plans are canceled after the Travel Authorization Form has been approved in Eagle’s Purch.

8..2   If the event or meeting is cancelled, the Traveler is responsible for contacting the organizers of the event and seeking reimbursement if a prepayment has been made on behalf of the University. The Travel Office will reject the travel in Eagle’s Purch.

8.3   If the employee's travel has been approved in advance and the cancellation or change is made at the direction of, and for the convenience of the department, any penalties and charges resulting from the cancellation of airfare, hotel reservations and registration shall be the department's obligation.

8.4   If the Traveler cancels the trip for personal reasons, he or she will be responsible for repaying the University all monies that were advanced, including penalties and cancellation charges.

8.5    The Traveler will not be responsible for repayment if the cancellation is due to death within the employee’s immediate family, accident, serious illness, or other critical circumstances beyond the control of the employee.  In this case, the department can pay the penalties and charges.

8.6    All refunds of prepayments obtained resulting from cancellations are due back to the University immediately.

8.7   The refund must be directed back to the Travel Office so that it can be deposited into the appropriate funding source where the payment originated.

8.8   Repayment must be paid in the form of cash, cashier’s check, or money orders.  Cashier checks and money orders must be made payable to North Carolina Central University.

9.  Travel Forms

Travel forms may be obtained from the following locations:

9.1   The Travel Authorization and Reimbursement Form is available online, and is also available in Eagle's Purch. (The foregoing link is to an Excel file that includes both the "Travel Authorization Form", and the "Travel Reimbursement Form", on separate sheets.)

9.2   The No Expense to the University Form is available online. 

10.  Travel Advances

10.1  Travel advances will be issued only in the following situations:

10.1.1    Team/Student Group Travel  Student groups will be advanced 100% of their airfare (only using University’s Travel Agent), meal per diem, lodging, registration, ground transportation, parking and baggage.  All outstanding travel advances must be resolved within ten (10) days.  It is the responsibility of the advisor to make sure that all funds are distributed to the students and each student signs a Distribution of Funds Form showing the amount that was received.  If the advisor does not allocate all monies to the student they will be responsible for repaying the University any unused funds.  (Please see travel agreement on Travel Authorization form.)  Faculty/Staff traveling as a chaperone or on international travel to a country with an underdeveloped economy status can receive an advance for airfare, hotel, and meals by using a state, trust, or grant fund, if the fund purpose allows such expenditures.  When meals are advanced, monies are made payable to a state employee only.

10.1.2   Faculty/Staff will be advanced airfare costs and registration fees only.

10.1.3   Non-State Employees (any person not employed by NCCU)  Non-State Employees can only be advanced for airfare costs and hotel expenses by using a trust, grant or foundation funds, if the funds purpose allows such expenditures.  No travel advances will be made to non-state employees on a state fund.  Non-State Employees traveling on official North Carolina Central University (NCCU) business, whose expenses are paid or reimbursed by NCCU, are subject to the same regulations, including statutory subsistence allowances, as NCCU employees.  Travel expenses for members of a non-employee’s family are not eligible to be paid by the State.  Non-State Employees traveling as a volunteer/chaperone can be advanced for airfare, hotel, and meals by using a trust, grant, or foundation funds, provided that the fund purpose allows such expenditures.  All meals advances are made payable to a state employee.

10.2    Vendor Setup Form for Advances

10.2.1  Travelers must submit a hotel reservation, and Vendor Setup Form when requesting an advance. (Students and Guest can only advance on trust, grant, or foundation funds)

10.2.2  The Traveler must submit a completed registration form for the conference attending and Vendor Setup Form for all persons traveling if not currently in vendor file. 

10.3     Issuance of Travel Advance Checks

10.3.1  Travel advance payments are paid by University checks.

10.3.2  Travel advance checks are made out to the conference or hotel (hotel advance is only for students and guest). Airfare advances are paid directly to the travel agency.

10.3.3  Student meal per diems and other expenses are paid by University checks that are made out to the Staff/Faculty member who is responsible for the travel.

10.3.4  Travel advances will not be paid more than 10 to 15 working days in advance of the departure date.

10.4     Repayment of Excess Travel Advances

10.4.1  Any travel advances issued in excess of the actual cost of the travel must be repaid to the University in full.

10.4.2  The amount of the repayment is calculated on the Travel Reimbursement Form, which should be completed within 10 business days following the travel. 

10.4.3  A cashier’s check/money order or cash are the only acceptable methods to repay any excess advance.  The employee must make the cashier’s check/money order payable to North Carolina Central University and provide the cashier's check/money order to the Comptroller’s Office. 

10.4.4  The Travel Office must deposit monies with the Bursar's Office.

10.4.5  The Travel Office will not process any future travel requests for those Travelers who fail to submit proper documentation for outstanding travel advances within 30 days of traveling.

10.4.6  All student advancements must be settled (repaid if applicable) before an advisor’s travel reimbursement can be processed.  Advisors seeking reimbursement who have received advances for students must submit the student advance repayment before or at the same time as submitting their reimbursements. 

10.5    Travel Advance Agreement

10.5.1  If Travelers request an advance for themselves or students, upon signing the Travel Authorization form, they will be held legally responsible to the “Travel Advance Agreement.”  The  Travel Advance Agreement can be found on the lower bottom of the Travel Authorization form. 

10.5.2  If Traveler fails to repay the amount of the advance, the University will notify the Payroll Office to deduct the amount from the next payroll cycle.

10.5.3  Additionally, failure to repay the advance may also be grounds for disciplinary action. 

10.6  Except as outlined in the foregoing sections 10.1 to 10.4, the University offers American Express Corporate cards to NCCU employees in lieu of travel advances.

11.  Lodging and Meals

11.1    Lodging Reimbursement Criteria

11.1.1  Lodging will not normally be paid when the Traveler is in travel status less than 24 hours.

11.1.2  The travel must involve a travel destination located at least 35 miles from the employee’s regularly assigned duty station or home, whichever is less, to receive approved reimbursement. “Duty station” is defined as the location where the employee is assigned.

11.2    Reimbursement Amounts for Lodging

11.2.1  Reimbursement for lodging shall be made for only the actual lodging expense incurred.

11.2.2  Itemized receipts from a commercial lodging establishment must be submitted with the Travel Reimbursement Form.

11.2.3  The hotel receipt must show a zero balance and the method of payment.

11.2.4  Reimbursement rates for lodging differ depending on whether travel is In-state or Out-of-State.  Please see the latest rates at State Budget Manual.

11.2.5  Reimbursement to employees sharing a room with a member of his or her family shall not exceed the single occupancy rate.

11.2.7  Payment of sales tax, lodging tax, local tax, or service fee applied to the cost of lodging is allowed in addition to the lodging rate and is to be paid as a lodging expense.

11.3     Excess Lodging

11.3.1  The department head or chairperson may authorize lodging in excess of the per diem rates if safe accommodations at the per diem rates are not available or practical.

11.3.2  No excess lodging may be granted for internal department meetings, conferences, seminars, etc. and such meetings must be held in University facilities when available.

11.4     Lodging in State-Owned Facility

When an employee stays in a state-owned facility and the lodging charge is less than the per diem rate, the maximum amount reimbursed will be the actual amount charged.

11.5     Meal Reimbursement Criteria

11.5.1  Reimbursement for meals is normally allowed only when overnight travel is involved and when the travel destination is located at least 35 miles from the employee's regularly assigned duty station or home, whichever is less.

11.5.2  Reimbursements for meals are contingent upon departure and return times from/to duty station for in state, out-of-state and out-of country travel.

11.5.3  All tips for meals are included in the per diem rate allowed.

11.6     Meal Reimbursement for Partial Days when Overnight Travel is Involved.

11.6.1   Employees may be reimbursed for meals for partial days of travel when in overnight travel status and the partial day is the day of departure or the day of return.  To be eligible, the following criteria must be met.  Breakfast: the Traveler must depart prior to 6:00 a.m.  Lunch: the Traveler must depart prior to 12:00 noon (day of departure) or return to duty station after 2:00 p.m. (day of return).  Dinner: the Traveler must depart prior to 5:00 pm (day of departure) or return after 8:00 p.m. (day of return).

11.6.2  The Traveler will be allowed 2 hours prior to departure of flight for traveling out-of-state and 2 hours returning to duty station or home, for the calculation of departure and arrival times on days with air travel.

11.6.3  The Traveler will be allowed 3 hours prior to departure of flight for international and 2 hours returning to duty station or home, for the calculation of departure and arrival times on days with air travel. 

11.7     Meal Reimbursement When Overnight Travel is Not Involved.

11.7.1  Lunches are not reimbursed if travel does not include an overnight stay.  To be eligible for breakfast and evening meal allowances when overnight travel is not involved, the following criteria must be met.  Breakfast: the Traveler must depart prior to 6:00 a.m., and extend the normal workday by two hours.  Dinner: the Traveler must return after 8:00 p.m., and extend the normal workday by three hours.  Both breakfast and evening meals: When overnight travel is not involved, the employee must have worked five hours longer than the normal workday.  Applies to all of the above:  The travel must involve a travel destination located at least 35 miles from the employee's regularly assigned duty station.

11.8   Reimbursement for Meals at Conferences. When the cost of meals is furnished with registration fees, conference costs, hotels or other related activities, they will be excluded from the travel reimbursement meal per diem, even if the Traveler did not consume the meal(s) provided by the conference.

11.9   Reimbursement for Meals on Commercial Airline. Employees are permitted to claim meal reimbursement allowances on the travel reimbursement form for meals on a commercial airline.

11.10   Reimbursement for Meals at Meetings

11.10.1 A state employee may be reimbursed for meals, including lunches, when the employee's job requires his/her attendance at meetings in his/her official capacity and the meal is a pre-planned part for the entire meeting.

11.10.2 Meals Per Diems In–State: see State Budget Manual for all meal per diems. Out-of-State: see State Budget Manual for all meal per diems. International: An employee will be reimbursed the Federal rates when they are traveling internationally.  Please contact the Travel Office to obtain reimbursement rates for foreign travel meals and/or go on-line to U.S. Department of the State.

11.11   Other Meal Reimbursement Regulations

11.11.1  Reimbursement for meals shall not exceed the in-state limits when traveling in state or the out-of-state limits when traveling out-of-state.

11.11.2  Reimbursement rates listed above include tips.

11.11.3  An employee may be reimbursed for breakfast even if their lodging establishment offers free continental breakfast.

11.11.4  State rules and guidelines shall take precedence over federal guidelines governing the use of federal grant funds, unless specifically exempted by OSBM in advance.

12.  Registration Fees and Other Travel Expenses

12.1     Registration Fees

12.1.1  University faculty and staff members are entitled to reimbursement of registration fees for functions of University interest.  The registration amount should be recorded on the Travel Authorization and Reimbursement forms.

12.1.2  Registration fees may not include cost of entertainment, alcoholic beverages, setup, flowers or promotional (gift) items.

12.2     Excess Registration Fees

12.2.1  Requests should be accompanied by a receipt or a copy of brochure, fee schedules, or other materials listing the costs included in the registration fee. Additional justification may be required by the approving authority

12.2.2   It is the responsibility of the employee to ensure that any meals included in excess registration fees are not claimed in the daily meal allowance.

12.2.3  The University will not pay for activities that are not business-related (examples: tours, social activities).  Knowingly filing a reimbursement for unrelated items included in registration fees is against University policy.

12.3     Registration Fees Paid in Advance

12.3.1  Registration fees are paid prior to travel by the University.  In order to process these payments, a Travel Authorization Form must be completed and submitted to the Travel Office. The Traveler must attach a completed copy of the registration form and/or brochure plus a copy for mailing payment. 

12.3.2  If the Traveler chooses to prepay the registration fee themselves, they will not be reimbursed until after the trip as part of their reimbursement.  Traveler must attach the registration receipt to the reimbursement request.

12.4     Other Travel Expenses

12.4.1  The additional travel expenses the University will pay include, but are not limited to, official phone calls, and official internet access costs, baggage handling, airline checked baggage fees, and required miscellaneous expenditures.

12.4.2  Personal expenses will not be reimbursed.  Personal expenses included, but are not limited to the cost of laundry, entertainment, postage, copies, alcoholic beverages, other snacks or refreshments.

12.4.3  Tuition Fees: Registration fees are distinguished from tuition fees in that registration is a "travel expense," and tuition fees are educational expenses. Tuition Fees are not reimbursed through the Travel Department.

12.4.4  Phone Calls Official phone calls are reimbursable under "Other Expenses.” Receipts or copies of telephone bills must be attached in Eagle’s Purch with the Travel Reimbursement Form. Calls over five dollars ($5.00) must be identified as to the point of origin and destination. Allowable Personal Calls.  An employee who is in travel status for two or more consecutive nights in a week is allowed one personal long distance telephone call for each two nights, for which reimbursement to the employee may not exceed $3.00 for in-state calls or $5.00 for out-of-state calls. Documentation is required for reimbursement. Emergency Calls.  A personal long distance call may be reimbursed if such a call is of an emergency nature as determined by the department. An example may be a call made when an employee calls home to inform someone that the travel period has been extended beyond original plans due to unforeseen reasons.

12.4.5  Tips Baggage Handling.  Reasonable amounts for handling baggage at common carrier terminals and for handling baggage when arriving or departing from the place of lodging are allowed and must be itemized under "Other Expenses" on the Travel Reimbursement Form.  The maximum allowed is $8.00 round trip. Gratuities.  If paid in connection with taxi services, gratuities should be included with the actual service cost.  The cost must not exceed more than 15% of the actual fare.  Tips for other hotel services, including room/maid service, are not reimbursable.

12.4.6  Computer Hook-Ups/Internet Fees: Employees traveling on Official University Business who need to connect to the internet, need to use the most efficient manner available and include the receipt for service when submitting the reimbursement for these charges.

12.4.7 Expenses Incurred for Obtaining a Passport: Reimbursement for costs incurred in obtaining or renewing a passport may be made to an employee who, in the regular course of his or her duties, is required to travel out-of-country in the furtherance of official state business. Passport expenses are reimbursable when foreign travel expenses are approved by the Chancellor or appropriate Vice Chancellor on the Travel Authorization Form.  Passport expenses are chargeable to the same fund that supports the employee's trip.

12.4.8  Baggage Fee: Reimbursement for baggage fees will be allowed and must be itemized under “Other Expenses” on the Travel Reimbursement form. Receipt from airline is required for reimbursement.

13.  Travel Reimbursements

13.1    Travel reimbursements are limited to personal out-of-pocket costs and allowances incurred while on authorized University business by the individual making the claim.

13.1.1  Non-state employees, students and volunteer/chaperones are bound by the same statutory reimbursement regulations, documentation requirements, and other conditions as state employees unless otherwise indicated.

13.2    Approval of Travel Reimbursement Requests

13.2.1  No approval is needed if the amount being requested for reimbursement agrees to or does not exceed previously approved travel authorization amount by $100 or 10%.

13.2.2  Department Head/Chair approval is required if the reimbursement is over the total estimated cost by $100.00 or 10% on the Travel Authorization Form, the Department Head/Chair will need to approve the overage.

13.3    Other Approvals

13.3.1  Additional approvals may be required if there are special departmental or divisional approval requirements.

13.3.2  Additional approvals may be required if travel costs are split between two or more University six-digit funds.

13.3.3  Approval of the Office of Sponsored Research and Programs grant officer is required for travel reimbursements using grant funds (Title III).

13.3.4  If reimbursement amount for travel on a grant fund is greater than $100.00 of the Travelers total estimated cost, the Office of Sponsored Research will need to approve the overage.

13.4    Timely Submittal of Travel Reimbursement Requests. The Travel Reimbursement must be submitted to the Travel Department within 30 days after the travel period ends.  Failure to submit the reimbursement request in the designated time period may result in rejection of the reimbursement request.

13.5    Documentation Substantiating Travel Reimbursements. All documents substantiating travel shall be on file with the University Travel Office. All receipts and/or written statements are required to be attached to the Travel Reimbursement Form before forwarding to Travel Office for reimbursement.

14.  Travel – Charge Cards

14.1     Allowable Charges Reimbursed

14.1.1  In order that personal funds will not be required for official University travel, the University offers American Express Corporate Cards to North Carolina Central University employees.  Only authorized University travel expenses, as outlined above, will be reimbursed to the employee. 

14.1.2  Other charges, including charges for personal expenses, are the responsibility of the cardholder. Failure to pay the account in full and in a timely manner will result in the card being revoked.

14.2     Participation

14.2.1  Participation in the American Express Corporate Card Program is voluntary. Participation eligibility is limited to the following employee groups: Full-time faculty employees classified as instructors or above. Full-time staff employees. Other frequent Travelers, as authorized by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance.

14.3     Charges/Bills

14.3.1  Each cardholder is solely responsible for all charges incurred on his/her American Express Card (unless reported as stolen or lost). Monthly statements will be sent from American Express for all items charged to an employee's Corporate Card account.

14.3.2  Monthly bills are payable in full by the cardholder to American Express upon receipt. The University does not issue payments to American Express. 

14.3.3  Failure to make timely payment of billed charges may result in recall of the Corporate Card upon request of the University or American Express.

14.3.4  The University is not responsible for any late fees charged to the employee’s card. (See American Express’ terms and conditions regarding the assessment of late fees.)   

14.3.5  It is the employee’s sole responsibility to keep the account current.

14.3.6  The cut-off date for the billing cycle to be used is the 26th day of each month.

14.4     Termination of Employment: If the employee’s employment is terminated, the card must be returned in person to the Comptroller’s Office, Room #11, Dr. James E. Shepard Administration Building and the employee's Corporate Card account will be closed.  Employees are prohibited from returning the card to the Comptroller's Office through University mail.

14.5     Other Card Matters: To report lost or stolen cards, billing address changes, and for other assistance an employee may require, cardholders should contact American Express directly at 1-800-528-2122.

15.  Travel, Transportation Modes and Transportation Related Expenses

15.1     State Vehicles

15.1.1  Appropriate Use of State Vehicles  When traveling by car is determined to be feasible, a state vehicle (if available) should be used by the Traveler instead of a personal vehicle or rental vehicle.  State-owned vehicles shall be used by the Traveler for official state business only.  State vehicles shall not be used by the Traveler while the employee is in vacation status.  At the destination, a state vehicle may be used by the Traveler prudently for travel to obtain meals, but use is not allowed for private purposes or for entertainment while off duty.

15.1.2  Obtaining a State Vehicle  The Traveler must complete a Motor Fleet Requisition Form.  This form is located in the Travel Office Room #031.  The Traveler must contact University Facilities Management to request a motor fleet vehicle.

15.1.3   Authorized Drivers or Riders in State Cars.  University employees that meet the requirements for operator's license are authorized to drive a state vehicle.  Students may be permitted to drive state vehicles if they are state employees and if they meet the requirements listed above. University students may be passengers in state cars for athletic events and other activities officially sanctioned by the University.  Non-state employees may accompany faculty or staff members in state cars when they have a business interest in the travel.  Hitchhikers are not permitted to ride in state-owned vehicles.  Spouses or children of University employees may accompany employees in state cars, if ample space is available and all travel is strictly for official business.

15.1.4  Insurance  The state has obtained blanket insurance policies for economy in providing insurance coverage for state-owned vehicles. Premiums are paid by state agencies on a pro rata basis.  The State carries a maximum liability for accident and injury.  For the liability amounts, please see the following site: Dept. of Insurance (DOI) Liability Amounts.  Any employee desiring additional protection may purchase it as “Drive Other Car” endorsement on his/her personal automobile liability insurance policy. This additional optional insurance coverage is not a reimbursable expense.

15.2     Personal Vehicle

15.2.1  Reimbursement Rate for Use of Personal Vehicle  Mileage is measured from the closer of duty station or point of departure to destination (and return).  A state employee shall be reimbursed the business standard mileage rate set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS Mileage Rate) when using their personal vehicle for state business when the round trip does not exceed 100 miles.  If a state employee chooses to use a personal vehicle when the round trip exceeds 100 miles, all departments and agencies will reimburse the employee at a lesser rate per mile as defined in the state budget manual (State Budget Manual).  Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employees.

15.2.2  Mileage Reimbursed Reimbursement to a Traveler for costs incurred through use of a personal vehicle will be limited to actual mileage from the point of departure or duty station whichever is closer. Mileage should be calculated using MapQuest or Google Maps. Employees may be eligible for reimbursement for prudent use of a personal car at the destination during the travel period. The Traveler must document separately on the Travel Reimbursement Form any extraordinary deviations from reasonably expected mileage. Mileage reported on the Travel Reimbursement Form is subject to review by the Travel Office. 

15.2.3  Insurance Personal vehicles used by the Traveler for state business are not insured under the state automobile insurance policy.  Consequently, individuals using a personal car on state business are responsible for any damages incurred.

15.3     Rental Vehicles (Away from Duty Station).

15.3.1  Allowable Use of a Rental Vehicle  A rental vehicle (to be picked up at the destination or away from the duty station) should be used by a Traveler only when absolutely essential to conduct state business and when no alternative mode of transportation is practical.  No reimbursement will be made to a Traveler for a rental vehicle when a state vehicle or personal vehicle has been authorized for the trip.  No reimbursement will be made to a Traveler for rental insurance purchased because state employees are covered under the State’s auto insurance program.  Rental vehicles may be used by a Traveler; however, rental vehicles are not to be used at the state's expense solely for the convenience or personal preference of the employee.  The employee must provide written justification for use of rental vehicles. The Travel Office has to pre-approve all rental vehicles to be reimbursed.  Students and Non-State Employees are not eligible to rent vehicles.  Non-State Employees are only eligible to rent a vehicle if traveling to the USA from another country.  The Traveler should charge the cost of rental vehicles to the employee's University American Express Card or personal credit card.  The Traveler will then request reimbursement when filing the Travel Reimbursement Form.

15.3.2   Insurance  The state automobile insurance policy provides coverage to vehicles when employees lease rental vehicles for official travel from the contracted vehicle rental companies.  Optional insurance coverage on rental cars is not a reimbursable expense unless engaged in state business during travel to international destinations.  The Traveler should attach a copy of the signed Vehicle Request and Invoice documenting the non-availability of a state vehicle to the Travel Reimbursement Form.

15.4     Fees When Driving a State Vehicle, Personal Vehicle, or Rental Vehicle

15.4.1  When a state vehicle, personal vehicle, or rental vehicle is used by a Traveler for official state business, parking fees, miscellaneous storage fees, and tolls are legitimate expenses that can be reimbursed if receipts for expenses are provided.

15.4.2  When a Traveler is driving a state vehicle, required repairs are also legitimate reimbursable expenses, provided receipts for expenses in excess of $3.00 per day are obtained.

15.4.3  A Traveler must submit a receipt to be reimbursed for an airport parking expense.

15.4.4  No common carrier or public transportation costs are reimbursable to a Traveler on a trip on which an employee uses a state vehicle, personal vehicle, or rental vehicle unless it is documented in writing that such transportation was more economical in a particular situation.

15.5     Travel to and from the Airport or Destination

15.5.1  Reimbursement for travel between the employee’s duty station or home (whichever is less) and the nearest airline terminal and for appropriate parking may be made as follows:  Airport Shuttle - a Traveler may be reimbursed for one round trip actual shuttle fare; a receipt is required.  Taxi - a Traveler may be reimbursed for one round trip actual cost; a receipt is required.  Personal Vehicle - a Traveler may be reimbursed at the state mileage rate.

15.6     Commercial Airlines, Ticket Purchase

15.6.1  The Traveler should arrange the ticket purchase with one of the travel agencies designated by the Travel Office if the Traveler is seeking an advance.

15.6.2  The Traveler must utilize air coach/tourist class, unless exceptional circumstances require the use of first-class accommodations. If first-class accommodations are required, the Chancellor must approve a written statement of the circumstances. The Traveler must attach the approved statement to the Travel Authorization form.

15.6.3  The Traveler must complete the Travel Authorization Form to receive a cash advance for airfare expense.

15.6.4  The Traveler must not claim the ticket purchase on the Travel Reimbursement form. It must be deducted as an advance.

15.6.5  If the Traveler chooses not to use one of the contracted travel agencies, reimbursement will occur after the trip.

15.6.6  Flight insurance is not a reimbursable expense.

15.6.7  “Frequent Flier Miles” earned by state employees traveling on state business and at state expense should be used to the extent possible on future state business trips.

15.6.8  Coach fare for rail and bus service on state business is a reimbursable expense.

15.6.9  Employees traveling internationally, on Federal award funds, must follow the “Fly America Act” and utilize U.S. flag air carriers for all air travel.

15.7     Faculty and staff may use the following approved travel agencies when traveling on state business.

15.7.1  Travelink American Express:  800-821-4671

15.7.2  Concur: