You made it to the end of a challenging and unique semester! High five!
Now, all you have left may be getting your final grades before taking a break from classes until the summer session or the fall term begins. Before you register for your next term, we want to offer you a few tools you can use for summer learning. These links and helpful resources could be for your summer reading list or for the next time you take classes, whether they are online or face-to-face.
If you need more information about any of the tools mentioned below, please contact Student Accessibility Services (SAS) at email@example.com. You may call one of the SAS team members at their office phone numbers, which can be found on the NCCU SAS webpage at www.nccu.edu/sas. Happy summer learning!
Tired of typing? Try voice recognition software, which types what you say using a microphone on your laptop, tablet, phone, or PC. Check out the links below for different types of operating systems:
- For MAC users: https://www.howtogeek.com/178636/use-voice-dictation-to-speak-to-your-mac/
- For Windows 10 users: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation
- For Google Docs users: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3038200/how-to-use-voice-dictation-in-google-docs.html
- For Android users: https://speaking.email/FAQ/87/android-system-settings-for-speech-and-voice-recognition
- For iOS (iPhone/iPad) users: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/dictate-text-iph2c0651d2/ios
Tired of reading online for long periods? Try speech-to-text tools that are free and built-in to programs you may already use. These tools will read the information that is on the screen so that you can listen, focus, and take notes. Check out the links below:
- Immersive Reader, a Microsoft Learning Tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHJJCLV-DNg&feature=youtu.be
- Text-to-speech on Macs: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/have-your-mac-speak-text-thats-on-the-screen-mh27448/mac
- Text-to-speech on iPhones or iPads: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/spoken-content-iph96b214f0/ios
- Text-to-speech on Android phones: https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/6006983?hl=en
Ever notice a typo after you hit send? If spelling and grammar errors or typing too fast cause you to make errors in writing, try Grammarly. Add this tool to your web browser, such as Google Chrome, and it will correct spelling and tone in emails, documents, and social media. Here’s the link: https://www.grammarly.com/.
Do long assignments bog you down? Try the Assignment Calculator. It will allow you to break up longer assignments into more workable chunks. Select a start and end date and the type of assignment you’ll be working on. Here’s the link: https://ctl.utsc.utoronto.ca/assignmentcal/.
Ever forgotten about an upcoming deadline? Try the Homework App. This student planner app will allow you to create a free account to track all of your assignments across multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac, iOS for iPhones and iPads, Android tablets/Kindle, and Android phones. Here’s the link: https://myhomeworkapp.com/.
Do you find it hard to stay focused? Try the two tools listed below, both of which are add-on features to your web browser, like Google Chrome. They will temporarily block time-stealing websites, like social media, for short periods of time. Here are the links:
- Strict Workflow: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/strict-workflow/cgmnfnmlficgeijcalkgnnkigkefkbhd?hl=en
- Stay Focused: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stayfocusd/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji?hl=en
Need a tutor? Tutors who were primarily available for our distance education students are now available to help all students. The Office of E-learning has been able to broaden our campus’ ability to use our online tutoring resource, Upswing. This tool will allow you to login, select your course, find a tutor, and make an appointment. Here’s the link: https://northcarolina.upswing.io/.
Also, check out this video demo of Upswing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I5fgQb0dGE&feature=youtu.be.