- Take out all trash to the dumpster.
- Dispose of all perishable food (including empty bottles and cans) in the refrigerator.
- Personal refrigerators must be defrosted, cleaned and left with the door open (This includes micro-fridges). Do not unplug the University-provided full-size refrigerator in the apartment/suite.
- All electronics and other appliances must be unplugged, including TVs, lamps, video games systems, etc. Any stove or microwave provided by the University does not need to be unplugged.
- Close and lock all windows.
- In Annie Day Sheppard, Baynes, Ruffin, Chidley North, Eagleson, New Residence II and Richmond residence halls, the thermostats should be set at 72 degrees.
- In the Eagle Landing residence hall, George Street Suites and Alston Avenue Apartments, the thermostats should be set on auto, cool, at 72 degrees.
- If the room is located on the ground floor, please make sure the blinds are lowered and closed. All other floors should have their blinds lowered and opened.
- Please make sure all window coverings (draperies) are removed.
- Ensure all personal belongings are removed from the floor.
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock all doors!
Note: The University assumes no responsibility or liability for the personal property of students. This includes damage due to fire, water, theft, etc. Students desiring protection from incidental damages must make their own arrangements for insurance.
New housing assignments will be given to transfer, readmit and newly admitted students during the winter break period. If a student currently occupies a double room and is the only occupant, they should ensure one side of the room (bed, closet, desk, etc.) is clear and free of any belongings before leaving for break. Any student found occupying a vacant space may be charged a daily rate for that additional space.
Staff will be entering each room (in all residence halls) to verify that all rooms are prepared for winter break. A $50.00 (improper checkout) fine will be charged to suites, rooms and/or individuals that fail to properly prepare before leaving for break. Any resident found in the building or attempting to swipe in the building during the residence hall closure period without prior approval via email will be sent through the student accountability process. During the break, maintenance and facility staff may be entering rooms to complete work orders or preventative maintenance.
Students should stop by their community’s office to pick up any items that were confiscated during the semester. All items that are not picked up will by the closing time will be discarded.