Digital Marketing Strategist
Digital marketing strategists help companies, institutions and organizations use online tools and platforms to reach and engage their audiences in order to achieve their marketing objectives. This 100% online course will teach you the conceptual foundations and practical skills digital marketing strategists use to attract interest, gain prospects and convert leads into sales. Key topics include the use of media campaigns, email marketing, content marketing, and building sales funnels.
Digital marketing strategist is among the most dynamic careers of the 21st century. Survey data from General Assembly indicates a 33% talent gap for digital marketers, which signals that 33% of companies who want to hire digital marketing strategists are unable to do so.
According to PayScale.com, early-career digital marketing strategists with 1–4 years of experience earn $54,257 in total compensation per year, on average. With 5–9 years of experience, the average total compensation is upward of $68,706. A digital marketing manager has a similar but more advanced role, often overseeing strategists or digital marketing teams, and can make upwards of $80,000 annually.
Digital marketing strategists may also work on a freelance basis. ZipRecruiter.com places the national average salary for freelance marketing specialists at $68,970 per year. Top freelance digital marketers can command over $127,000 per year.
Frequently Asked Questions
Digital marketing strategists are responsible for creating, implementing, managing and improving an online marketing strategy. They use digital tools to research audience characteristics and interests, craft messages, communicate to their intended audience, engage interest and ultimately sell a product, service, concept or message. They may also oversee teams of in-house or freelance creative, analytical, or marketing professionals.
Although titles can vary across organizations and industries, digital marketing strategists' job titles may include the following:
- Digital marketing manager
- Digital strategist
- Director of digital marketing
- Director of web marketing
- Director of SEO operations
- Internet marketing specialist
- Internet marketing specialist
- Paid search manager
- Pay-per-click manager
- SEM manager
- SEM specialist
- SEO manager
- SEO specialist
- Web marketing manager
- Web marketing specialist
Yes, because digital marketing is internet-based and mobile by nature, digital marketing strategist is considered an excellent career option for remote, freelance, or work-from-home opportunities. The Digital Marketing Institute reports that there are more digital marketing jobs available than digital marketers to fill them. The shortage is forcing companies to turn to outsource solutions, which opens excellent freelance and entrepreneurial options.
Generally, digital marketing strategists need expertise in these broad areas:
- Analysis, in order to assure a data-driven approach to their work
- Communication (and persuasion), which manifests as an ability to create themes and messages
- Technology, to keep up with an ever-expanding array of tools, methods and platforms available to them
- Management, to create, organize, launch and oversee marketing campaigns
- Learn the foundations of digital marketing, including email, and PPC
- Understand and practice content-marketing best practices, including copywriting, SEO, and editorial calendars
- Learn the framework and practices for campaign management, including budgets, planning, and implementation
- Learn to create positive digital marketing feedback loops using sales, quality reviews, and customer relationship management
- Introduction to Marketing
- The Marketing Mix
- Market Research
- Market Trends
- International Marketing
- Sustainable Marketing
- Brand Management
- Analyzing Consumer Behavior
- Project Work
- Financial Planning
- Integrated Marketing Planning
- Put It into Action
- Direct Marketing Planning
- Putting Direct Marketing into Action
- Websites for Marketing
- Develop Original Concepts
- Writing Copy
- Develop Advertising Campaign
- Multiplatform Digital Advertising
- SEO Strategy
- Social Media Engagement
- Google Adwords
- Email Marketing
Liselle Turner is a content writer and project manager. In addition to her background in advertising, she has worked in the learning and development industry. Turner holds a Bachelor of Business, a Diploma of Hospitality and Management, and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.