What Is Canvas?
Canvas is the university’s official learning management system (LMS) and is used by instructors to communicate with their students online. Canvas is used in fully online courses and as a supplement to in-person courses. Students have online access to course materials, assessments, discussions, group projects and communication tools on Canvas.
Canvas is a product of Instructure, which was founded in 2008 and used by more institutions of higher education than any other learning management system, including other UNC System schools. In addition to being a more intuitive system for designing courses, below are several benefits of the Canvas system.
- 24/7 phone and chat support provided by Instructure
- A more modern, straightforward and easier-to-use interface
- A more accessible experience for all users
- Mobile apps for instructors and students
Canvas is now available at NCCU! NCCU will be replacing Blackboard with Canvas as our official LMS through the end of Spring 2023. Beginning Summer 2023, Blackboard will no longer be available.
- Fall 2021: Canvas kickoff meeting
- Spring 2022–Fall 2022: Pilot conducted through several courses across various academic units.
- Spring 2023: Canvas and Blackboard available for any course listed in Banner (instructor chooses which LMS to use). Archived/exported Blackboard content available from SP22 (see details on getting course content into Canvas).
- Summer 2023–Fall 2023: Canvas available for any course listed in Banner. Blackboard no longer available.
NCCU Canvas can be accessed by a web browser on your computer or any mobile app. Our institution is integrated with Information Technology Services (ITS) and University Registrar (via the Banner system). Only users with the role of instructor or student are automatically populated into Canvas.
Instructors and students must also be assigned to or enrolled in a course(s) to gain access to Canvas. Our system transmits this data every three hours; new users may experience a short access delay while new data is being transferred.
You need three pieces of information to access Canvas:
- NCCU Canvas URL: https://nccu.instructure.com
- Your NCCU username
- Your NCCU password
Canvas can be accessed from myEOL. If you are unable to log in with your NCCU credentials, probable causes are:
- Your profile has not been established
- The data transmit process has not been completed