Online Catering Professional Training
Catering professionals organize and oversee events and functions, providing food, beverage and entertainment services for clients in a wide variety of locations. In this 100% online course, you will learn the foundations of catering and the principles for operating a successful catering business.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), demand for foodservice-related careers is expected to grow by 6% between now and 2029. For skill-specific positions such as catering chef, the BLS forecasts job growth of 11% in that time frame.
According to Indeed.com, catering managers in the United States earn $49,220 per year, on average. Top catering managers earn over $100,000 per year working in premier hotels and foodservice organizations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Catering professionals blend the best practices in foodservice and entertainment with strong business and management principles to produce memorable events for their clients. They organize, prepare and produce functions ranging from wedding receptions to corporate events and many others.
Like every industry, catering operators were impacted by the coronavirus outbreak. Restaurant Business Online estimated that as many as two-thirds of all caterers reduced their operations. However, as catering is among the most mobile and flexible of the food service areas, experts expect it to recover quickly by shifting to business models that embrace social distancing and meal delivery.
Many catering professionals work in restaurant or hotel catering departments. Others create their own companies or join catering firms. Catering within a hotel or restaurant involves providing event-specific space, menus and services to groups who use the facility to host an event or function.
- The foundations of integrated disciplines such as event planning, food and beverage management, sales and marketing, human resources, accounting practices and legal contracts
- To manage the challenges of employee inductions, performance appraisals, exit interviews, staffing requirements, food safety, legal requirements and licensing, budgeting considerations and profit margins
- Knowledge of catering management complements previous work experience within the catering and events industry
Prerequisites and Requirements
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
The Elements of Catering Services
- Catering Events
- Food Service Styles
- The Essentials of Main Service Styles
- The Advantages of Main Service Styles
- Resources Required for Main Service Styles
- Budget Considerations for Main Service Styles
- Calculating Human Resource Requirements for Main Service Styles
- Matching the Service Style to the Catering Event
Events Management Collaboration
- The Structure of Event Types Event Planning
- Additional Catering and Event Services
Food Production Practices
- Food Production Systems and Methods
- Food Safety Requirements
- Converting Measurements
- Portion Estimation for Events
Beverage Management Requirements
- Legal Considerations
- Characteristics of Spirits
- Characteristics of Wine
- Beverage Profit Margins
Sales and Marketing Plans
- Target Markets
- Marketing Plans
- Sales Forecasts
- Elements of a Contract
- Essential Clauses
- Other Laws
Human Resource Planning
- The Recruitment Process
- Employee Inductions
- The Training Cycle
- Performance appraisals
- Exit Interviews
- Accounting Terminology
- Financial Statements
- Accounting Methods
- Inventory Valuation Methods
Thea Roberts is an instructor with a background in business administration. Previously, she was a finance officer and employment advisor. She also held a position in the Washington State Ombudsman Program. Roberts holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Master of Arts.
Liselle Turner is a content writer and project manager. In addition to her background in advertising, she has worked in the learning and development industry. Turner holds a Bachelor of Business, a Diploma of Hospitality and Management, and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.