Writing and Speaking Studios
The Writing Studio
The mission of the Writing Studio is to support your learning and work as a writer in the university community through one-on-one and small-group collaborative sessions. You can visit the Writing Studio in Room 102 of the Taylor Education Building or reach us by phone at (919) 530-6035.
Writing Studio Hours
- Monday–Thursday: 9:00 am–5:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am–2:00 pm
Walk-ins are available, but appointments are preferred. Evening, weekend, and online hours are available by appointment only.
Writing Studio FAQs
Who comes to the Writing Studio?
Writers at all levels of proficiency and at all stages in the writing process (including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students) do!
What will I do at the Writing Studio?
- Talk one-on-one with a consultant about your writing
- Brainstorm topics
- Develop rough drafts
- Organize ideas
- Fine-tune your writing
What should I bring to the Writing Studio?
- Written assignment from your professor
- Comments or suggestions from your professor or classmates
- Two double-spaced, printed copies of your draft (if possible)
- Any other information on your assignment
- A portable USB drive
- A positive attitude
The Speaking Studio
The Speaking Studio is part of NC Central’s Quality Enhancement Plan, which is a critical campus-wide program designed to enhance the written and oral communication skills of students at NCCU. Most importantly, the Speaking Studio is designed to empower, enrich, and enhance your communicative skills through collaborative consultations that promote honest, timely, and helpful instruction and feedback.
Speaking Studio Services
The Speaking Studio offers the following services:
- One-on-one speech consultations
- Small-group speech consultations
- Classroom presentations and instructional workshops
- Speech videotaping using iPad 2 devices and HD cameras
- Speech reviews and constructive feedback
Speaking Studio Hours
- Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday: 9:30 am–5 pm
- Wednesday and Friday: 9:30 am–2 pm