North Carolina Central University
1801 Fayetteville St.
Durham, NC 27707
To develop and establish a University College that will be recognized regionally and nationally for its record on student productivity and success.
North Carolina Central University’s University College holds students’ first two years as its central focus. The mission of the University College is to assure a successful transition of first and second year students to the point that they accomplish educational goals during their college matriculation. In addition to promoting the mission of the university as a whole, the University College will create a learning environment that fosters academic commitment, civic and community responsibility, school pride and life-long learning.
1. An 85% retention rate will be actualized by first time freshmen and first time transfer students.
2. Enhance the academic performance of University College students (first-time freshmen, sophomores, and first- time transfer students) to a level that reduces the number of failures by 15% and increase the number of students achieving at grade ”C” or above by 10% over the prior academic year in GEC courses.
3. Empower students to develop personal goals and manage essential university functions that ensure student success such as the registration process, active participation in student professional development seminars, and relevant career planning.
4. Develop and implement effective means of transitioning students from the University College to the academic department in which the student’s major is housed.
5. Develop and implement a comprehensive training program for the University College that will strengthen student performance and delivery of staff services.
6. Develop and implement a mentoring program that will enhance the academic and social per formance of University College students measured by a “C” average in GEC courses for all students actively participating in the mentoring program.
7. Strengthen assessment measures to effectively document student success.
8. Keep abreast of current research and studies in the area of first and second year- experiences, retention and graduation rates, leadership, and management to inform decisions and reports.