Search
 
 
About NCCU Academics Research Admissions Campus Life Athletics Giving

The School of Library and Information Sciences

J.E. Shepard Library
J.E. Shepard Library

The School of Library and Information Sciences office, library, classrooms, computer laboratory, distance learning center, and other facilities are located on the third floor of the James E. Shepard Memorial Library.

The School of Library and Information Sciences of North Carolina Central University was authorized by the State Legislature in 1939 when the charter of the then North Carolina College for Negroes was amended for the purpose of allowing the establishment of graduate and professional programs at the College. The master's program was initiated in 1950 with the first Master of Library Science (MLS) degree being awarded in 1951. The master's program was originally accredited by the American Library Association (ALA) in 1975. The name of the school was changed to the School of Library and Information Sciences in 1984. The School offers a joint JD/MLS degree in law and librarianship with the NCCU School of Law, and a joint MBA/MIS degree in conjunction with the NCCU School of Business. The SLIS Library consists of professional literature and other print and non-print materials needed to support the various courses. There are also two special collections: 1) papers of African-American librarians, and 2) works by African American authors and illustrators of children's materials.

More details are available at: http://www.nccuslis.org/ 

 
© 2015
North Carolina Central University
1801 Fayetteville St., Durham, NC 27707