North Carolina Central University has designed a COVID-19 Health and Safety Program to ensure that NCCU will continue to be a safe and healthy place to work, live, learn and visit. The NCCU plan was guided by recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and is consistent with local orders and ordinances of the City of Durham, Durham County, the State of North Carolina and the University of North Carolina System.
North Carolina Central University’s “Protecting the Nest: Guidelines for Returning to North Carolina Central University” should be referenced.
The Health and Safety Plan contains valuable information for students, faculty, staff and visitors. These topics include:
- Personal health and safety practices, such as physical distancing, use of face coverings, and hand hygiene
- Personal health monitoring for signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
- Details of the NCCU Test-Trace-Isolate Program, which ensures the availability of acute COVID-19 testing and rigorous contact tracing, as well as the availability of space for isolation and quarantine of affected residential students
- Protocols to ensure that classrooms, offices, and meeting rooms are properly configured to allow for distancing and adjusted maximum occupancy
- Guidelines for managing the close contact afforded by residence halls
- Safety measures to include one-way movement within buildings as well as restricted elevator and safety measures for high-traffic areas
- How hand sanitizer and surface disinfectant products will be made available across campus
- How protocols will be enacted to identify for follow-up students with health conditions that may predispose them to develop more severe COVID-19 disease
It is important to remember that COVID-19 represents a novel and challenging experience for everyone, and NCCU policies and procedures will continue to change and evolve as new information becomes available.
The Environmental Health and Safety Office has prepared an informational guide that includes information about COVID-19, such as how to stay safe and what steps NCCU has taken to mitigate risk. A subsequent presentation for students will offer details on safety in classrooms, residence halls, and other spaces.
Specific planning elements and policies are documented in the NCCU Pandemic and Communicable Disease Emergency Response Plan which is available upon request from email@example.com.