Search Menu
About NCCU Academics Research Admissions Campus Life Athletics Giving

How do I apply for NC Department of Public Instruction licensure once I have completed my program?

Once you have completed a teacher education program or a program in the School of Education that was not a teacher education program per se, such as Communication Disorders, School Counseling, or Educational Technology, and wish to work in the public schools of North Carolina, you need to complete the licensure application packet.

To be eligible to apply for an initial or advanced license through North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) you must complete the following benchmarks.

  • Apply to an NCCU undergraduate degree or post-baccalaureate program
  • Apply to the Teacher Education Program if applicable to your program
  • Complete the TEP Program (by completing the courses outlined on your program of study)
  • Pass required PRAXIS Examinations
    • Earn passing scores on the PRAXIS II tests for your Content Area. (Note: Your Lateral Entry agreement may have required that you take these tests earlier. You must follow those mandates.)
  • Apply for Licensure - Mandatory Upon Completion of Program
    • Obtain the Licensure Application packet; complete the forms and obtain signatures as needed; attach the required documents and deliver to the Licensure Office in the H.M. Michaux School of Education Building.
© 2016
North Carolina Central University
1801 Fayetteville St., Durham, NC 27707