North Carolina Central University
1801 Fayetteville St.
Durham, NC 27707
Crime Alert Archive
On Tuesday, Aug. 27, NCCU Police responded to a report that shots had been fired in the vicinity of Cecil and Fayetteville streets. A security officer stated that he heard shots from his location at Eagle Landing that were coming from Burlington Street area. Another security officer stated that some students were running through the A. E. Student Union as they had heard shots coming from Fayetteville Street area. NCCU officers canvassed the area but found no immediate evidence of a shooting. About 20 minutes later, Durham Police came to the area in response to a report that a gunshot victim had checked in at Duke Hospital. He was a passenger in a vehicle and was shot by an unknown person in another vehicle. The crime scene could not be located and we have no suspect information at this time. Durham Police Department handled the call.
Anyone having information regarding this incident should contact the NCCU Police Department immediately at 919-530-6106.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Self-protection means knowing how to avoid being the victim of a crime and knowing what to do if you are a victim. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity.
1. Remember! Don’t be a hero. If you are faced with a weapon, the odds are against you.
2. Always be aware of your surroundings and the people you come in contact with.
3. Avoid walking alone if possible. Walk in groups of four or more and try to stay in well-populated areas. Avoid working late at night alone.
4. If you are alone at night and find that someone is following you or someone is in your dorm or work area you don’t know, go to the nearest safe business, residence or place and call the police for help. Stay on the phone until the police arrive.
5. If someone in a car is following you, turn and walk in the other direction.
6. Never prop open entry doors to your dorm, and never let someone you don’t know into your dorm who can harm you and others in your dorm.
7. Stay away from alleys, shrubbery, dark shadows near buildings, and short cuts through parks, vacant lots and deserted areas.
IMMEDIATELY REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY, SUSPICIOUS VEHICLES OR SUSPICIOUS PEOPLE TO THE NCCU POLICE DEPARTMENT AT 919-530-6106.