The mission of the Center is to foster
excellence in teaching and learning. It serves to encourage excellence in
teaching through programs for course development and improvement,
implementation of new instructional technologies, and support services to
faculty that encourage instructional development and efficiency in the
workplace. The Center is an instructional support center, serving as the
catalyst for the enhancement of instruction. The vision of the Center for
University Teaching and Learning is to be the primary resource for professional
enhancement of NCCU faculty and staff.
The components of the Center include: (1) Faculty
Development, (2) Instructional Technology Support/Media-Creative Services, (3)
the Telecommunications Center, and (4) Video Production/Services/TV Studio.
These units work closely with the NCCU community to enhance, create, and maintain
a state of readiness toward technology advancements.
- To cultivate a climate which values and rewards effective teaching and is conducive to enhancing teaching and learning;
- To encourage and support a community of learning and teaching excellence by assisting faculty in developing and enhancing technology skills, pedagogy skills, and innovative strategies and methodologies for improving student learning and development;
- To support and strengthen the academic, academic support, research, and cultural programs of the University by improving and maintaining a unified system of delivery of media services, creative services, audio-visual aid services, and technology training, all for the ultimate purpose of enhancing teaching and learning at the institution;
- To provide opportunities for faculty to continuously analyze both the content and methods of instruction, develop new courses and improve existing ones in order to maintain the integrity and vitality of the University's educational program;
- To provide teleconferencing and distance learning through interactive video to faculty, staff, students, and the administration at North Carolina Central University.
- To conduct workshops and seminars on teaching and learning strategies and methodologies and assist faculty with course design and student assessment, especially as relates to the correlation between course objectives and test items;
- To conduct training for faculty and staff on using various software programs, the audio-visual equipment, and other technological equipment/resources for instructional and other purposes;
- To provide faculty, students, staff, and administrators with projection and related services in an effort to enhance and strengthen the quality of instruction, learning, and performance of duties and responsibilities at the University;
- To provide technical assistance for implementing instructional technologies;
- To provide consulting services to the administration, faculty, and staff on selection and purchase of educational equipment;
- To provide two-way instructional interaction between educators and students or among training participants at remote sites throughout the campus and with participants at remote sites throughout the world.