University of Michigan (Postdoc.); Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Postdoc.); Advanced Technology Materials Inc. (Analytical Chemist); Duke University (Sr. Research Scientist)
My research lies in the interdisciplinary areas of analytical chemistry, molecular biology, and nanotechnology. The focus of my research program is the development and application of novel nanoscale materials and new analytical tools to address fundamental and practical issues in medical diagnostics and therapy, environmental monitoring, and forensic investigation.
Google Scholar Profile
Recent Publications at NCCU (* indicates corresponding author)
1. Y. Shrestha, F. Yan*. Determination of critical micelle concentration of cationic surfactants by surface-enhanced Raman scattering. Under review.
2. J.M. Romeika, F. Yan*. Recent Advances in Forensic DNA analysis. Journal of Forensic Research. 2013, S12, 1-13. DOI: 10.4172/2157-7145.S12-001
3. J.M. Romeika, C. L. Spurgeon, F. Yan*. Spectroscopic studies of micelle-enhanced ligand exchange of gallium (III)/4-(2-pyridylazo) resorcinol complex by calf thymus DNA. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2014, 117, 120-126. DOI:10.1016/j.saa.2013.07.113
4. F. Yan*, Y. Shrestha, C. L. Spurgeon. Determination of ferric ions by surface-enhanced Raman scattering based on desferrioxamine-functionalized silver nanoparticles. Chemical Communications. 2013,49,7962-7964. DOI:10.1039/C3CC43916J
5. N. Kilibarda, S. E. Afton, J. M. Harrington, F. Yan, K. E. Levine*. Rapid speciation and determination of vanadium compounds using ion-pair reversed-phase ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography inductively coupled plasma-sector field mass spectrometry.Journal of Chromatography A. 2013,1304,121-126. DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma.2013.06.074
6. J. L. Beard, F. Yan*. Forensic ink analysis using thin-layer chromatography coupled with colorimetry and surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy - An undergraduate instrumental analysis experiment. The Chemical Educator. 2013,18, 131-135. DOI:10.1007/s00897132483
7. F. Yan*. Plasmonic colorimetry: Visual detection of environmentally-relevant species. International Journal of Environment Technology and Management. 2013, 16, 49-64. DOI:10.1504/IJETM.2013.050683
8. J. Kim, Y. Yu, F. Yan, J. Bang, T. You, S. Lee*. A new strain of bacteria degrading TNT and 2,4/2,6-DNT from explosives-contaminated soil. Atlas Journal of Biology, 2012, 2, 116-124. DOI:10.5147/ajb.2012.0093