The mission of the Studio is to support your learning and work as a writer in the university community through one-on-one and small group collaborative sessions.
Writers at all levels of proficiency and at all stages in the writing process: Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students do!
- Talk one-on-one with a consultant about your writing
- Brainstorm topics
- Develop rough drafts
- Organize ideas
- Fine tune your writing
- Written assignment from your professor
- Comments or suggestions from your professor or classmates
- Two double-spaced printed copies of your draft (if possible)
- Any other information on your assignment
- Your disk or portable USB drive
- A positive attitude
The Studio is open during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
2011-2012 Schedule Hours of Operation
102 Taylor Education Building
| 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
|| 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Evening, weekend and NEW ONLINE TUTORIAL services are available most days of the week. Please call the Studio at (919) 530-6035 to make an appointment.
To make the most of your appointment, you will want to speak with a consultant about your concerns and needs ahead of time. This will help consultants know how much time you need and how to prepare for your session. Also, please review our guidelines below:
- You may make appointments with Writing Studio consultants at any time throughout the semester. Standing appointments (meeting at the same time every week) can be made for the entire semester to assist with longer papers and frequent writing assignments.
- You may make 30 minute or 50 minute appointments. Please feel free to book 50 minute appointments when working on longer papers. The consultants will help you decide which length of time is appropriate.
- You are expected to be on time, prepared with your assignment sheet and draft, and ready to work (Interrupting sessions due to cell phone calls and other distractions will not be tolerated.)
- If an appointment time is not booked, students will be served on a drop-in (first-come, first-served) basis.
- Read Ahead Sessions:
Special “Read Ahead” sessions are available for students with longer papers (over five pages) or thesis projects. Students must submit their essays at least three (3) business days before their scheduled sessions.
- Late Appointments:
If you arrive more than ten (10) minutes late for your 30-minute appointment, you may forfeit your time to a walk-in student. If you arrive more than fifteen (15) minutes late for your 50-minute appointment, you may forfeit your time to a walk-in student.
If you agree to these terms, please call 919-530-6035 or stop by to make an appointment.
For any other concern not answered here, please contact:
Karen Keaton Jackson, Ph.D.
Karen Baldwin, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (919) 530-6035