Bachelor of Social Work Program
Council on Social Work Education Accreditation Status: Accredited (2003-2011).
Application to the BSW program can be made during the fall (Sept. 1st deadline, Oct. 1st) and spring semesters (Feb. 1st; deadline, March 1st).
Students desiring to enter the BSW program may select social work as their major at the time of admission to the University, or in the case of currently enrolled students, a declaration of major form indicating social work as their major of choice should be submitted to the registrar’s office before the end of the second semester of their sophomore year. However, to be formally admitted to the BSW program, students must complete an application and meet the established minimum admission criteria, as follows:
- Satisfactory completion of two prerequisite courses; SOCW 2500 (Social Work as a Profession) and SOCW 3410 (Social Welfare as an Institution).
- A GPA of 2.5 (C+) in the above listed prerequisite courses.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or a SWAI (Social Work Admission Index) Score of 70 or higher.
- Provide two letters of references (on letterhead of identifying the write of the reference).
- Submit a personal narrative that speaks to interest in the social work profession and demonstrate acceptable writing skills.
- Submit a transcript indicating cumulative GPA.
If a student does not meet the cumulative GPA requirement of 2.5; a minimum SWAI score of 70 (on a scale of 70-100) is required for formal acceptance into the BSW program (note that the GPA requirements for the two prerequisite courses must be satisfied). The following are factors making up the SWAI score:
|Grade Point Average (GPA)
||2.0-2.49 = 10 points
|Two Letters of References (typed on letterhead identifying the writer of the reference)
||= 10 points
|Quality of narrative statement
||= 40 points
||= 30 points
||= 20 points
|Membership in professional organizations
|Student chapter of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW)
||= 15 points
|NCCU Social Work Society
||= 5 points