Technology integration is a key element of the curriculum of the Department of Nursing here at NCCU. We are in an era dominated by rapidly changing technology that is not only taking place in the world abroad, but is also changing the way we teach, learn and participate in the educational process. The Department of Nursing seeks to stay current as new trends come over the horizon. Below are some of the ways the department enhances the classroom experience with the use of new technologies.
- Skills labs allow students to take part on various simulations which supplement the clinical setting and allow for a more controlled and realistic environment for learning skills, scenarios, and more in depth study.
- Blackboard course integration allows for expanded distance education capabilities which serve both regular classes as well as online classes.
- Podcasting, new to our department but has proven to be a great tool to enhance the study, preparation, and application of skills and lectures by allowing students to carry their lectures wherever they want. Also students have access to skills videos, all of which can be accessed and downloaded at the student's leisure.
- Electronic clickers create a more dynamic classroom experience improving classroom interaction and further enhancing the collaborative learning process.
- The Department is also currently piloting PDA's which will be coming to our curriculum in the near future as a tool to enhance the clinical setting.
- Textbooks also have online tools, tutorials, and information that deeply enhances the learning experience.
Recommendations / Requirements:
- Students who plan to use personal laptops in campus for internet access must download appropriate software: clean access, Symantec anti-virus and complete windows updates. For further instructions see the campus help desk (530-7676) or Jason Prince, the departmental IT person (530-6167).
- If students wish to use PDA's the department can only make recommendations and advise you on software. The Department is piloting PEPID and looking to incorporate it Fall of 2010.
- PC's are best as opposed to MAC's because we are a PC / Windows campus, therefore these will provide most efficiency as related to compatibility.
- If planning to use podcasts it is required that ITunes and QuickTime (www.itunes.com) be installed on your PC.
- The department will provide a computer lab equipped with nursing specific software for nursing students to use.
- We recommend that you purchase USB head phones, with microphone, for use in online classes.
- USB flash / thumb drives are also a definite plus to have to save work on.
- If you are using Office 2003 or lower you will need to download compatibility pack, as our department is currently using Office 2007. This can be found for free on the Microsoft website.
- Please direct any other technology related questions to Jason Prince, firstname.lastname@example.org.