Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Department of Environmental, Earth and Geospatial Sciences at North Carolina Central University! We are a new department formed through the merger of the Environmental Science Program and the Department of Geography and Earth Sciences in July of 2007. Through the combination of intellect and energy provided by the department’s faculty and staff, we provide curricula and research programs which are responsive to changes in knowledge, changes in technology as well as changes in societal needs.
In addition, the merger enhances our interdisciplinary research capability. Some of the initiatives which are being developed or in progress include:
- Broadened research capabilities in environmental and earth science subdisciplines;
- Professional development opportunities including certification programs based on the capabilities currently being developed in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and remote sensing;
- New concentrations within the existing degree programs;
- Research and internship opportunities through which students sharpen their skills; and
- Programs designed to address the need for K-12 teachers trained in earth and environmental sciences.
You will find that the Department of Environmental, Earth and Geospatial Sciences is committed to the North Carolina Central University mission “to prepare students academically and professionally to become leaders prepared to advance consciousness of social responsibility in a diverse, global society.”
Among the values underlying everything we do are:
- our belief that every student has untapped potential and
- our commitment to helping students find and develop their potential.
We also work with students as well as professionals to use their knowledge to provide meaningful solutions to the many environmental issues and concerns faced by communities. We are committed to ensuring that the Eagles entrusted to our care truly soar once they leave the nest!