Student Ambassador Job Description
Position Title: Student Ambassador
• To encourage prospective students to choose North Carolina Central University as their college choice.
• To provide quality customer service to prospective students and their parents through campus tours.
• To answer questions prospective students and parents may have about academic programs, student activities and campus life at North Carolina Central University.
Applicant must be a full time NCCU student in good academic and judicial standing. Applicant must have a 2.5 GPA with three recommendations none of which can be provided by anyone from the Undergraduate Admissions Office. However, (2) two recommendations must come from a North Carolina Central University official (i.e. faculty or staff), (1) one recommendation can come from a mentor, community official, former instructors, etc. who can attest to the applicant’s professionalism, character, communication skills and scholastic ability. Complete the form now.
General Student Ambassador Duties
• Assist with the planning of the annual University Open House Programs and other student alumni events hosted or co-hosted by the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
• Attend monthly ambassador meetings.
• Attend ambassador professional development workshops.
• Maintain professional uniformed attire when acting in the ambassador capacity. Attire will be polo, sweat, or t-shirt provided by the Undergraduate Admissions Office and khaki pants ambassadors must purchase.
• Complete assigned tours.
Types of Tours:
Maroon Tours-are walking campus tours given to student groups over five students. These tours will highlight campus facilities and areas of student campus life.
Grey Tours- are walking tours given to families of prospective students. A driving campus tour can be given to those families with five or less members. In additions, these tours can provide a meeting with faculty in the study area(s) of interest to the prospective student.
• A meeting with a faculty member will only be provided if faculty are available and given advance notice.
• Tours should not last any more than 1.5 hours for a Maroon Tours and no more than 2 hours for Grey Tours (This includes the formal informational session).
• A tour request form must be completed prior to campus visit for a structured tour.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Tour Ambassador- Responsible for taking groups of one to 20 student(s) around campus for Maroon tours. Ambassadors will also speak with the prospective student about the student life aspect of college, their college experiences and give them insight on how to take advantages of different student activities opportunities.
Administrative Ambassadors-Those Ambassadors with the knowledge to perform the duties of Tour Ambassadors, however, may not have the time to carry out a full tour because of their schedule, but are available to greet medium to large tours and show them where to assemble until their tour is to begin. Administrative Ambassadors are also available to help carry out minor administrative needs in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (i.e. putting packets together, assisting with mailings and confirming tours).
Correspondent Ambassadors- Should be at least a sophomore with one year experience as a Tour Ambassador. Responsible for taking groups of one to 20 student(s) around campus for Maroon tours. Ambassadors will also speak with the prospective student(s) about the student life aspect of college, their college experiences and give them insight on how to take advantages of different student activities opportunities. Correspondent Ambassadors are those former tour ambassadors whose schedule does not allow them to participate as frequently as they would like for campus tours, however, they are willing to provide contact with those potential students who may have questions related to student/campus life and other student activities. Correspondent Ambassadors should not have any more than five potential students to communicate with unless given permission by the Undergraduate Assistant Director responsible for the Eagle Ambassador program.
Senior Ambassador-Should be at least a standing junior with two years (four semesters) experience as a Tour of Correspondent Ambassador. Ambassador is responsible for taking groups of one to 20 students around campus for Maroon or Grey Tours. Ambassadors will also speak with the prospective student(s) about the student life aspect of college, their college experiences and give them insight on how to take advantages of different student activities opportunity. Likewise, Senior Ambassadors will perform the same duties as Tour Ambassadors and have the option to provide correspondences with students as do Correspondent Ambassadors. Also, Senior Ambassadors will have the opportunity to travel with Assistant Directors of Admissions of recommended student outreach events. Moreover, Senior Ambassadors can present potential students and parents with presentations on North Carolina Central University.